Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My super effective strategy for hiding my incompetence in Danish class

So week two of my intensive Danish course is underway and I still have not progressed very much, which is quite a difficult fact to accept given that I'm not really used to being so comprehensively useless at things that don't involve running and handling some kind of sports equipment simultaneously. There aren't many things more embarrassing than being called on in class and having nothing but a blank look to offer.

If you, like me, don't have the required glottal-stop muscles or short-term memory to master the beginners Danish course, I have this advice for you.

Volunteer.

Every time.

It seems counter-intuitive, but classroom dynamics are much the same everywhere, and this means that when a teacher calls for a volunteer, no one steps up to the plate. The teacher is desperate for someone to volunteer, and wants to encourage more volunteers, so they are far more likely to smile encouragingly as you murder Danish conjugations.

So take my advice.

Always be the first one to volunteer.

Danish is going swell. Thanks for asking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment