Sunday, January 1, 2012

Starter Sunday

Hello non-existent readers!

Welcome back! After months of pondering forgetting that this was here I am back with an idea for my blog.

Between uni, work, my tendency to overcommit to extracurricular activities and my seemingly endless capacity to sleep it becomes far too easy for me to justify not doing new and interesting things, or even old and boring things that I enjoy. There is always something "productive" that I can be doing, or, more pathetically, more sleep that I "need" to catch up on which makes it easy on a lazy Sunday to stay home and work than to get out and do fun stuff.

Another casualty of uni is my desire to read and write recreationally. I certainly do not harbour any desire to be a writer (well, perhaps a political/science journalist), but 4 years of law and being told to write to strict word limits and counting down the pages left of this week's readings (no seriously, once I put a small piece of paper in each page of a 40 page long reading just so I could feel like I was making progress) I very rarely pick up novels to read in my spare time, and this is the first piece of non-required writing I have done for an embarrassing long period. The breaking point for me was when I tried to read "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens and I gave up in disgust after about 20 pages because the writing "wasn't concise enough".

So welcome to The Scattergun Approach!

My plan is that I will label each day of the week with a theme (ie. Film Friday, Munchie Monday etc) and then have seven posts a month - one for each day of the month. I'm not going to really force myself into fixed categories, pretty much so long as I can make it alliterate with the day of the week I'm going to run with it. Hopefully, I will write about food and books and movies and cool stuff to do (and having read that sentence, I have to add another "and") and not be a pretentious tool while doing it.

And because we all know how good at getting out of stuff lawyers are, I'm going to make this blog an obligation - by New Years Resolutioning it (because those things are never broken).

Welcome to 2012, and welcome to the Scattergun Approach.

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment