Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

I don’t know if Op-Shopping has always been a trendy thing to do. Maybe all generations go through a “hipster” phase where Op-Shopping moves from the domain of the pitied urchins to the upmarket, oversized-glasses-wearing, skinny-jeaned, perfectly-coiffed, latte-sipping “in” crowd. In any case, my generation has definitely entered that phase. I resisted for as long as I could (I look ridiculous in glasses, my hair is impossible and I don’t drink coffee), but when your house is located on a road with at least 6 Op-Shops (one of which has a BEAR COSTUME IN THE WINDOW!), sometimes, you just have to yield.

I wouldn’t say I’m an Op-Shop convert. For starters, I think that you have to be skeletally thin to really benefit from thrifting. I have a… shall we say… sturdy figure, with hips and boobs and thighs and all those other things that make it difficult for clothes to fit well – particularly clothes from different eras. But that’s not to say I haven’t made some fantastic finds.

My first is an academic gown. I think it’s pretty legit. It’s only made from cotton, but the stitching is fantastic (according to my aunt, who probably knows about these things) and it seems pretty realistic. I bought it for a themed party, but it’s been pretty handy (I’ve also used it for a Harry Potter party), and I think it’ll probably be useful again.
Image Credit: http://booknerd101.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/robe.jpg. My gown isn't this cool. But I wish it was. 

The other find… well, I’m not so sure about it. It’s this prom/cocktail ish dress. I bought it mostly because it fit like a glove, which after a day of op-shopping and feeling like a lumpy potato was such a shock, I bought it almost out of shock. But I also adore flared skirts and off the shoulder necklines. I actively hate the velvet rose-things on the band though – I’ll have to see about hacking those off. I have no idea when or where I’ll wear it, but I guess that’s just another challenge for the year ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment