Monday, January 30, 2012

Munchie Monday

I quite enjoy cooking. The problem is that I (1) really hate cleaning and (2) rarely get home before 6pm on weekdays, which makes making elaborate dishes quite difficult. In the immortal words of Dylan Moran, I get some bread and will dip it in anything runnier than bread rather than try to cook.

I also prefer baking to cooking, so if I do have a spare hour or two, I’m more likely to whip up a cake than something substantial.

Munchie Monday is my motivation to, at least once a month, cook something new, exciting and (hopefully) delicious. That isn’t baked. And for my first Munchie Monday I decided to try my hand at Scrambled Eggs.
I’ve actually never eaten scrambled eggs, let alone made them. I was (and to an extent, still am) a fussy eater as a child and one hangover effect of this is that I can’t really remember which foods I actually don’t like, and which foods I haven’t tried, but 8yo Lucy was adamant she hated.

I have recently quite enjoyed making omelettes – and I would say I’m fairly good at making them.  However, one fateful day, I realised that while I had eggs, I didn’t have anything worthy of filling a breakfast omelette. It was a desperate moment. But I am nothing if not an innovator/Google addict, so I turned to the internet to solve by breakfast dilemma. And there it was. Scrambled Eggs. And even better, Gourmet Scrambled Eggs (because I'm fancy). I was sold.

The recipe is: 
·         4 eggs
·         2tbsp mayonnaise (another thing that I’ve only recently discovered that 8yo Lucy was wrong about)
·         2tbsp parmesan
·         Chives.

There was a slight problem with this recipe. It doesn’t really tell you how to make scrambled eggs. The method went something along the lines of “Mix it all together, but it in a saucepan”, but, as a seasoned Masterchef viewer, I knew that there must be more to scrambled eggs, so I turned to the other bastion of knowledge in the modern day – Youtube.  I stumbled upon a great Gordon Ramsey video (here) who seemed to buck all the “conventional” egg scrambling videos.  But by this point, I’d already contaminated the eggs with the mayo/cheese/chives, so I had to charge on. Also, I didn’t have a skillet.
So I used a high-ish heat, and gently pushed it around constantly, took the eggs on and off the heat and piled them up, etc etc.

And this is what my product looked like (ps. Please excuse the awful, awful crockery! I think it was my parent’s wedding gift that they’ve only just rediscovered and felt obligated to use).  

Also, they looked better in real life– the lighting wasn’t great and I swear they weren’t that oily!

It was absolutely delicious. To be fair though, it tasted mostly of parmesan and chives, but it seemed pretty fluffy. Not a bad first attempt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment