Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Boozy Tuesd'y

Spiked Sorbet/Daiquiris

So I got given an ice cream churner for Christmas and it was only so long before I started using it for evil.

I've only make ice cream a few times, because every recipe I make is far too rich. But what I have been making (almost excessively) is sorbets.

My favourite is so far is a watermelon sorbet. And when I realised that I had a significant amount of watermelon vodka stashed way... well... what was I supposed to do?

Usually when you make sorbet you use 500ml of melon juice + 1 cup of sugar syrup (solution with equal amounts of water and sugar) + juice of 1 lemon. The sugar prevents the sorbet from becoming too icy, and I think that the lemon somehow emboldens the watermelon flavour. But when you're adding alcohol to the mix, you don't need to add anywhere near as much sugar (because the alcohol prevents the sorbet from becoming icy).

I added about 3/4 cup of watermelon vodka and used an increased amount of watermelon juice (protip: blend, then pass the juice through a sieve for a nice, smooth sorbet), churned it for about half an hour, and then put it in the freezer for a few hours.

The result was fantastic - The melon vodka wasn't overpowering at all, and actually nicely enhanced the flavours. I wasn't really after a slushy consistency, and mine wasn't, so I guess if you were making daiquiris (and not sorbet) you could add stacks more vodka.

Mine did not look like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment