Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Solo Sunday



Challenge: Attending a party where you only know the host.



I actually can’t count the number of times that I’ve chickened out of going to gatherings because I’d only know the host. And, I’m a little ashamed to admit, I have also not invited people to my gatherings on the basis that they’d only know me . Well, ashamed isn’t really it, because I stand by my decision. It just seems like basic party planning etiquette – I’m uncomfortable because I’m not sure if loner-guest is having fun, and loner-guest (unless they’re a natural born mingler) is uncomfortable because they only know one person and get tired of starting every conversation with “So… how do you know Lucy?”.

But with overseas-induced friendlessness fast approaching, I realised that I’m going to have to become that natural-born-mingler so as not to spend 6 months in Copenhagen inside my room on Facebook. So, a friend from work’s going away party beckoned.

Two other girls I knew had mentioned that they weren’t sure they’d be able to attend, and were going to message me to let me know on the day, but alas , with the start time fast approaching and no safety-texts in sight. Pre-Scattergun Lucy would have then messaged the hostess with a lame, but kinda legit excuse and then gone straight back to doing nothing, but today, I buckled up to go to the party.

Long story short – it wasn’t a terrifying ordeal. It was a really casual sit-down and chat kinda thing. So I chatted with the hostess for a bit, and then to one of her friends (who is doing research at the same place as one of my friend’s did an Honors year) for a while, and then moved onto another couple of people and it was perfectly pleasant. And there wasn’t even alcohol involved to make everyone a bit less reserved. Clearly, you’ll always have more fun at parties where you know everyone, but it was definitely reassuring to know that I’m not a total dud at mingling and small talk

Challenge: Conquered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment