Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Munchie Monday

I know... 2nd month in a row and I'm still struggling to get my butt in gear and space out my posts. But my problem isn't actually writing posts - it's publishing. I think I just keep waiting to proof-read/edit my posts, and of course the urge to do that never happens... But I guess that's just another thing to aim for. Hope you enjoy my February adventures!

This month has definitely been a month for cooking, and I’m proud to announce that I am now proudly self-sufficient on the sushi front. Please, please… hold your applause. I am just a woman, just like you (unless you are a man), just superior in that I can make distinctly delicious chicken teriyaki sushi.

I’ve now made it about 3 times, and two thirds of the times have been delicious (first time completely from scratch and was delicious, second time the rice went a little funny and third time, I couldn’t be bothered marinading chicken, so I bought kebabs and took the meat off the skewer instead).

Check out the recipe here! I think it worked out to be about $1.50 for each half roll , a whole $0.50 cheaper than the sushi place near my work! The only problem is trying to (a) scale back the recipe or (b) find a way to freeze/keep the sushi for more than a couple of days.


Protip: If you can't be bothered marinading chicken - buy chicken kebabs and take the skewers out!


In other kitchen adventures, I made a delicious curry from Sally Wise’s Slow Cooker book. I’ve made this recipe three times before too (also with two thirds of the times being delicious – 1st in a slow cooker which was delicious, 2nd also in a slow cooker and it tasted like arse for an unknown reason and 3rd time I made it over the stove top and it was absolutely beautiful). I’m always apprehensive about cooking things with so many ingredients, but we actually had all of the ingredients lying around in the fridge/pantry when I decided to make this on the spur of the moment the other weekend.

 *All* of the ingredients
I'm really bad at remembering to take photos of the finished product. But it looked like this... but like this had been cooked for 3hrs. 

Finally, I know I said that I wasn’t going to bake, but since the first two things are legit meals, I’ve deserved some floury goodness. I present to you Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella, Almond Butter and Vanilla Cream Cheese icing. I got these from here. I have only made them once and they. Were. Awesome. But the tri-coloured icing swirls did not work at *all*. 
I made the cupcakes for the bake-off - Mine are the brown ones on the right-hand side. 
And I have a confession to make... I had lots of icing left over, so I've just been eating it out of the piping bags. I like to think of it as pushups for my pancreas....

No comments:

Post a Comment