Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wordy Wednesday

So I'm still reading the accursed Game of Thrones series so unfortunately, I haven't got another book to review/reflect on (although the uni girls are having a book club for "The Perks of being a Wallflower" which I've been meaning to read for ages, so maybe I'll take a break from GoT).

But what I will do is, in the vein of Leigh Sales posts on The Drum, I will post a few of the internet things that I've read/watched and enjoyed lately.

One Town's War of Gay Teens - Rolling Stone
A friend posted this on Facebook a while ago, and it's absolutely shocking. I can't even fathom how this is still happening in today's society.

The Namby Pamby Blog
I adore this blog. Namby is hilarious, and especially just started working in a vaguely law-related field, I can completely relate to his (maybe hers? I 'm fairly sure it's a his) client-related frustration. He makes me want to to PI law, just so I have have a blog that is as hilarious as his. Almost.


A Place for Paedophiles - A documentary by Louis Theroux
I did an assignment arguing in favour of preventive detention following the UNHCR's Fardon decision in 2010ish, but this documentary really made me reconsider my stance. My idea of preventive (indefinite) detention was really based on an assumption that once rehabilitated, inmates would be released, but alas, that was just a teenager's pipedream. Seeing the number of inmates choosing legal routes, rather than medical options to be released really imprinted on me (a) how little is known about the psychology and treatment of paedophiles and (b) how difficult it is to be in the position of a prison officer knowing when it is safe to release inmates/patients. I can't recommend this documentary highly enough - it was really thought provoking.

Finally, this puppy is adorable. I must have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment